Meghan and Harry to dial into London court hearing in lawsuit against British newspapers - CNN
- 1 May 2020
London (CNN)The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will dial in to a London court hearing on Friday ahead of Meghan's lawsuit against Associated Newspapers, according to a royal source.
Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, is taking action against the publisher of the Mail on Sunday for invasion of privacy and copyright infringement after the newspaper published excerpts of a handwritten letter from Meghan to her father, sent shortly after she and Prince Harry got married in May 2018.
The source has told CNN the couple's team has confirmed that Meghan and Harry plan to listen to the duchess' legal team's presentation. The pre-trial hearing at London's high court is being held virtually due to coronavirus restrictions.
Harry, the Duke of Sussex, claimed that the letter, published in part by the Mail on Sunday, had been edited in order that it "purposely misled" readers -- a claim, denied by the paper, that he made in an open letter announcing legal action in October.
Meghan is seeking damages for misuse of private information, copyright infringement, and breach of the Data Protection Act 2018. There is no trial date set yet.
The Mail on Sunday and parent company Associated Newspapers has previously said it stands by the original story and will argue that there was "huge and legitimate" public interest in members of the royal family and their "personal relationships."
A spokesperson previously told CNN: "The Mail on Sunday stands by the story it published and will be defending this case vigorously. Specifically, we categorically deny that the duchess's letter was edited in any way that changed its meaning."